June 2, 2012

Change is good or so I tell myself

I like to think that I’m good with change but in reality I’m not.  It takes me a while to adjust and accept the new reality.  Like moving to New Mexico, for example.  It took me more than a year to resign myself to my new life away from California.

I think it might be the same for painting faces with acrylics rather than colored pencils.  That’s not to say that I’ve never painted a face in acrylics before. I painted a portrait of my daughter a few years ago that came out rather nice. But I worked on that painting for months before I was happy with it and even then I knew I didn’t get the highlights and the shadows right. It was very even in tone. You can see it here.

I worked on this face painting yesterday and hoped to get it done completely in acrylics. However, I just couldn’t get the shadows right. I ended up using my colored pencils after all. Comparing it to my colored pencil drawings makes me feel like I’m back to square one. Oh I know if I keep practicing with the paint, I’ll eventually get it.  It’s just tough to adjust to my new self-imposed reality.  I just have to remind myself…that’s how I learn. 

IMG_0154 

Thanks for your visit. I love comments so please leave me one.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin