It’s called 365: A Daily Creativity Journal by Noah Scalin. Click the book to visit his website.
(Psst: Looking for my OWOH post? Scroll down to the next post.)
Yes, there are many sites and books that are similar but something drew me to this one. Maybe it was the quality of the book pages, or the people that were interviewed in the book, but most likely it was the actual prompts. The prompts were things that spoke to me. I didn’t read them and say eh like I have with other books.
So is it a good thing to look for inspiration in prompts for things I would do anyway? What do I hope to learn from that? At this point in time, I don’t really need new techniques…I have a multitude of books in my library that I can learn from. I mean how many different ways are there to transfer images from one surface to another? I know, I know…many. What I actually need is the inspiration to actually work on my creativity every day. And by that I mean, work on a visual form of art using the materials I already have on hand. Yes I’ve said that before but some how I got lost in personal issues this year and lost my motivation to create. I want the creativity back in whatever form it takes.
The first prompt was: “Make something that fits in the palm of your hand using only the materials in your immediate environment.”
That was an easy way to start.
- It’s larger than ATC sized, about 4 x 5. (You must think I have large palms? I don’t, I just don’t follow directions well.)
- I used a pressed flower that I’d picked when we first moved here and had been sitting waiting for me to do something with it.
- I also used some scrapbooking paper that I have been collecting like it’s going out of style. (Not sure why I collect it since I don’t scrapbook. Guess I just like the pretty colors. heehee)
- And the pretty ribbon.
- The quote is:
- Flowers have spoken to me more than I can tell in written
- words. ~ by Lydia M. Child
Looks more like a greeting card than my usual art but it’s a start. The book says I should choose a subject or medium, but I haven’t done that yet. I may freeform it for a while.