December 3, 2009

Things My Mother Said

This weeks theme, besides being late, is about things my mother said as I was growing up.  Some of those words were also repeated by me to my own daughter.

Some of the funny things my mother said were:

It’s just as easy to marry a rich man as a poor man.” Said by the woman who married a poor man and didn’t know any rich men.

Don’t drink coffee it will stunt your growth.” She was right about this one.  I used to dunk my ginger snaps in coffee served by my aunts and I’m only 5’2”. Damn that coffee.

Money doesn’t grow on trees.”  How many times have you heard this? When my daughter was young she thought that money just magically appeared in your bank account. When I told her we didn’t have money for a certain toy she’d say “Well Duh, just go to the bank.” Ok she didn’t say “well duh”…she knew better…but it was implied.

I hope when you grow up your kids are just like you.”  I think this one came true….and you know what? I’m more than ok with that.

If you get hurt don’t come running to me.”  I never got this one, who exactly was I supposed to go running to if not my mother?  I always want my kid to come running to me when she needs me. That’s why I had kids. 

You’d lose your head if it wasn’t attached.” Sadly, this one is still true.

If I told you once I told you a thousand times.”  She probably did too.  do kids ever listen to their parents? 

Just wait till your father gets home.” My mother used this one on me and it worked. However, when I tried this one with My Girl but it didn’t because her dad wasn’t as strict as I was.

 

My Mama Told Me

What are the Momisms either told to you or those you have said to your own children?

1 comment:

  1. Hey girtl, love that collaged journal page. I think you have all the Momisms covered. We were just raised as pita's, you know? LOLOLOL

    ReplyDelete

I love reading comments so thank you for taking the time to leave one. I will respond by email if your profile includes an email address or if you leave your email address in the message. Have a wonderful day.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin